If you are going on an adventure to different places locally or internationally, a sure way to capture those moments is by bringing a camera along with you.
While your smartphone can capture photos and videos which you can easily upload to your social networking sites, they cannot capture high-quality photos as compared to an actual camera. Since cameras are made for capturing photos, they still have the edge in producing high-quality photos as compared to smartphones.
Another downside with simply settling for a smartphone to capture images is that they do not have a high-quality zoom feature. Travel cameras are made to provide you great photos even when you maximize the zoom. Compact travel cameras may not provide the highest image resolution as compared to a mirrorless or DSLR camera, but their image quality is still better than a smartphone’s.
If you are looking for a lightweight, durable, and compact camera that you can bring along with you on your travels and adventures, this article will discuss various camera models that you can look for.
If you are looking for a compact and light camera, the point-and-shoot type is your best option. This type of camera is made for portability since they can easily fit in your pocket and has a fast start up to let you capture your photos easily. Furthermore, point-and-shoot cameras are less expensive as compared to other camera types so you will not feel guilty in case something happens to it while you are traveling.
- Sony RX100: This camera model has a 20.1-megapixel sensor and Carl Zeiss zoom lens. It is lightweight and easy-to-use.
- Panasonic Lumix FZ1000: The Panasonic Lumix camera provides the versatility of a mirrorless camera without the need to carry additional lenses. This camera model provides 25-400mm zoom at 20.1 megapixels. However, because of its bigger lens, it also weighs more at 29.3 ounces.
- Canon PowerShot G9 X: Weighing only 7.4 ounces, this camera has 28-80mm zoom and 20.2-megapixel lens.
- Ricoh GR II: Although not as well-known as Canon and Sony, this camera model can provide you amazing photos as well. It has the 16.2-megapixel lens and a large APS-C image sensor that is almost comparable to that of a DSLR camera type.
Mirrorless cameras are often preferred by individuals who would like to have high-quality images that can compete with DSLRs but with a smaller and more compact body. Mirrorless cameras are great for photographers who love to travel since this type of camera lets them capture high-resolution photos without the hassle of carrying a bulky device.
- Fujifilm X-T10: This camera has a 16-megapixel lens with a sensor size of 368 square mm. Fujifilm boasts of its color rendition feature and great image quality for capturing still images.
- Sony Alpha a7R II: Perhaps one of the best yet expensive mirrorless camera models in the market today is the Sony Alpha a7R. Weighing 22.1 ounces, this camera model has 864 square mm sensor and 42.4 megapixels lens. This camera has features like 4K video, low light performance, and image stabilization which even let amateurs capture great photos.
- Sony Alpha a6300: This camera model boasts of a 4K video and weather sealing that is often found on DSLR cameras. The weather sealing feature is a great advantage for travel photography since it lets you capture great images in various weather conditions without affecting the camera’s performance. It has a 24.3 megapixels camera lens and a 357 square mm. sensor size that lets you capture better photos.
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II: Weighing 13.8 ounces, this camera has 221 square mm. sensors and a 16.1-megapixel lens. This camera has features like a tilting LCD screen and a 5-axis image stabilization which lets you capture great images easier.
Digital SLRs or DSLRs provide the best images and highest resolution images because of their large sensors and precise lenses. However, they are bulkier and heavier than other camera types. This is why the only dedicated photographer is the only ones who lug these cameras around with them during their outdoor trips.
If you are aiming to be a professional photographer or simply someone who can manage to carry around a heavy device to capture high-quality photos, here are some of the best DSLR camera models sold in the market today.
- Nikon D3300: This camera model weighs 15.2 ounces with a 357 square mm. sensor size, and a 24.2 megapixels lens. This model has improved features of improved low light performance and faster image processing.
- Canon Rebel SL1: Weighing 13.1 ounces, this DSLR camera model has 328 square mm sensor size and 18-megapixel lens. What makes this camera model is that it can be easily used by a first-time DSLR user which can be used for daily or travel use.
- Canon EOS 6D: Heavier than the other two models above, this camera model weighs 26.8 ounces. It has a 20.2-megapixel lens and a large 856 square mm. sensor size. This camera can provide great images at a relatively affordable price.
- Nikon D810: If you can manage to carry a bulky and heavy camera to have a high-quality image of your trips and adventures, the Nikon D810 is a great option. Weighing 31.1 ounces, this camera has an 861 square mm sensor with 36.3 megapixels lens. This is rated as the best Nikon DSLR in the market today.
Action cameras are a great option for people who frequently go on adventures and rigorous travels. This camera type is waterproof and weatherproof so you can take great photos even underwater. Since action cameras are small and compact, they can easily be placed inside the pocket or attached to your bag’s sling compartment.
While there are various action camera models out in the market nowadays, the GoPro Hero5 Black reigns as the best model around today. It provides 4k video stabilization, 16 megapixels lens, and a waterproof body. All these while weighing only 118 grams and a 22-inch screen. This action camera is a little expensive but can provide you with high-quality images wherever you are and whatever activity you are doing.